Browse and Register for CPE Programs
No courses registered.
Browse our online catalog to register.
The Phlebotomy Technician Profession
The phlebotomist is a vital member of the clinical laboratory team, whose main function is to obtain patient’s blood specimens by venipuncture and microcollection for testing purposes. Phlebotomists are employed throughout the healthcare system including in hospitals, neighborhood health centers, medical group practices, HMO’s, public health facilities, veteran hospitals, insurance carriers, and in other healthcare settings. The demand for phlebotomy technicians has increased substantially with the overall complexity of healthcare services and the risks of infectious disease. Current healthcare industry experts predict a 15% increase in phlebotomy jobs by 2018.
The Phlebotomy Technician Program
The Phlebotomy Technician Program prepares professionals to collect blood and other specimens from clients for the purpose of laboratory analysis. This course covers the following key areas and topics
- Process and procedures for collecting blood specimens for laboratory analysis
- All aspects of blood collection and related procedures
- The order of draw
- Universal precautions
- Skills to perform venipunctures completely and safely
- Terminology and related anatomy and physiology
Phlebotomy Technician Education and Certification
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- Several state and national certification exams exist to test the competency of aspiring phlebotomy technicians.
Phlebotomy Technician Detailed Course Topics Covered
- The history of phlebotomy and the healthcare setting
- Quality assurance and legal issues
- Infection control, safety, first aid, and personal wellness
- Universal precautions including safety protocols, infection control
- Laboratory operations (e.g. safety, quality control)
- Blood banks and blood typing, lab departments and personnel
- Medical terminology and laboratory theory
- Human anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system
- Specimen collection, processing, and handling
- Blood collection equipment, additives, and order of draw
- Venipuncture specimen collection procedures
- Capillary puncture equipment and procedures
- Special collections and point-of-care testing
- Arterial puncture procedures
- Non-blood specimens and tests
- Pediatric and geriatric blood collection
- Blood and blood composition, blood tubes, coagulation, venipuncture protocols, etc.
- Heel puncture, protool, practice, and syringe draws
- Respiratory, pneumonia and TB isolation protocol
- Laboratory skills and simulated/animated labs
3 Saturday courses are required:
There will be no class November 26
Dates : 11/10/15 to 02/04/16
Days : Tues,Thu
From : 6:00pm - 9:30pm
Fee : $1799.00
Course Number : P005
Class is unavailable at this time please call 973-720-2354 for more information or other course options