Browse and Register for CPE ProgramsIf you have any questions, please call 973.720.3698 or email CertificateProgram@wpunj.edu
No courses registered.
Browse our online catalog to register.
« Back to Programs
Pharmacy Technician Certification - Online
Registrations for Online courses are ongoing.
The Pharmacy Technician Profession
The need for Pharmacy technicians continues to grow with demand expected to increase substantially through 2020. Technicians work under the supervision of a registered pharmacist in hospitals, home infusion pharmacies, community pharmacies and other healthcare settings. This high demand for pharmacy technicians is the result of a multitude of factors including the constant availability of new drugs, the national shortage of registered pharmacists, the establishment of certified pharmacy technicians, and the aging population. Approximately 400,000 technicians will be employed by the year 2022 to meet our nation’s growing healthcare demands.
The Pharmacy Technician Program
Pharmacy Technician program will prepare students to enter the pharmacy field and to pursue certification including the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s PTCB exam. For more information on the exam please visit HERE . Please note that the certification exam is not included in this program. This course covers the following key areas and topics
- Pharmacy calculations
- Medical terminology specific to the pharmacy
- Skills to read and interpret prescriptions
- Review of the top 200 drugs
- Skills to identify drugs by generic and brand names
- Dosage calculations, I.V. flow rates, drug compounding, and dose conversions
- Dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control, and billing and reimbursement
Pharmacy Technician Education and Certifications
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s (PTCB) is the national certification exam.
- Numerous states now require PTCB certification to work as a pharmacy technician.
- Certain national and state pharmacy technician certification exams are available.
Pharmacy Technician Detailed Course Topics Covered
- The history of pharmacy and healthcare
- Pharmacy technician role and responsibilities
- Pharmacy technician certification and registration process
- Types of pharmacies including the hospital pharmacy, retail practice, long-term care practice, mail order pharmacy, home care pharmacies, and others
- Drug regulation and control
- Pharmaceutical terminology and related anatomy
- Parts of the prescription and labeling
- Pharmacy calculations and math review
- Pharmacy measures and abbreviations
- Routes and formulations
- Parenterals and compounding
- Basic biophamaceutics
- Aseptic technique and the handling of sterile products
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN)
- Basics of IV solutions and calculating 24-hour supply of IV solutions
- Factors affecting drug activity
- Information and pharmacy resources
- Inventory management and financial issues
- Brand names and generic drugs
After completing this program, learners will have the opportunity to take the leading national/industry-recognized certification exam(s) essential to entry-level employment in this fast-growing field.
|Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Radiation Health and Safety (RHS)|
|National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) Dental Assistant Clinical Certification (DACC)|
For additional information call 973-720-2354
Instructor : CCI
Dates : 01/01/23 to 06/30/23
Days : Online
From : -
Fee : $1999.00
Course Number : C017